Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Urodynamics and a Wound Care Appointment

Last week, I had my urodynamics study. The study was to test my bladder function so that my urologist and I could best determine a baseline, which would help us decide what our next step toward getting me feeling better might be. The test didn’t take very long and wasn’t very uncomfortable. The basic process of the study consisted of emptying my bladder and then inserting fluid back into my bladder until I told the nurse that I was beginning to feel the urge to urinate. After that she asked me if I felt like I absolutely had to go then or if I could wait. I told her that I was able to wait so she inserted more fluid. After I felt like I could no longer wait she stopped the fluid and apparently watched my bladder on a monitor. We waited and for some reason nothing we did were helping me to empty my bladder despite the fact that I felt full. Eventually, she told me that she saw that my bladder was contracting but only a little bit but that if I were feeling the urge that intensely she would conclude the test. I was feeling like I could no longer wait so we unhooked me from the sensors and the nurse told me that I needed to set up an appointment with my urologist in a couple of weeks to go over the results. I left that appointment and made a beeline for my house where my bladder felt free to empty. Soon, it was time to go to the Wound Care Center for my appointment with my surgeon.


When I got to the Wound Care Center, I had the same nurse that I had seen the previous week and she asked me how I felt the wound was doing. I explained that I hadn’t been able to see it, so I had no definitive answer but I that I was experiencing some discomfort with it, although, nothing close to the pain I had when things had gone haywire in the past. When my surgeon walked in the room, I was relieved to see him but was also hoping that I wasn’t there wasting everyone’s time. He asked me what I had been doing to treat the area and I told him that the doctor from the previous week had recommended using Calazime and also the barrier skin prep and that I was following those instructions.


When he looked at the area he told me that it was closed and not anything to worry about but that I had done the right thing by coming in when I personally felt unsure. I did tell him that I am sometimes feeling a stinging sensation in the area and questioned that it was actually closed. He told me that it was closed and that he did not have a reason for why I may be experiencing the discomfort. He recommended continuing to use the Calazime and skin prep and asked me to come back in about a month so that he could see how it was doing then.


As of now, my plan is to see my urologist in a couple of weeks so that he can tell me the results of the Urodynamics study. I have decided though, that I will not see him past that appointment. I have received the name of an urologist from one of my former visiting nurses and I intend to call and make an appointment with him so that a solution may be found, hopefully with someone that I will have a better feeling about. I am continuing to treat my wound as my surgeon has recommended and I am planning to follow up with him in a few weeks. Hopefully, all of this will be resolved shortly so that I can move on with my life.

No comments: