Monday, May 5, 2014

A Week of Chaos

I spent last week trying to keep my thoughts positive and not worry too much about everything that was going on with me medically. As I was leaving the radiology office after my ultrasound I requested that the reports be mailed to me. The office said that they would be sure to send them.


A few days later, the urologist’s office called me. I had a temporary moment of panic when they called because I remembered that he said he would only call if anything had shown up. When I answered the phone it was a person from his office. I halfway expected her to transfer me to the doctor so he could speak with me directly, instead she told me that the results had come back normal and so I should come in a few weeks later for my scheduled urodynamics test. I thanked her and hung up the phone feeling confused. I wondered why I was being called when everything was supposedly fine when I had previously been told that I would not receive a call if everything were okay. I tried not to let it bother me and just focus on the fact that they had communicated with me and that communication is a good thing.


A little while later, my mother handed me my mail and in it was the report from the ultrasound and x-ray. I opened it somewhat expecting it to say every little thing that had been seen so that did not surprise me as much as I was disturbed to see that a “small, 4mm density’ which was most likely a small fragment of the kidney stone had been discovered. I understand that 4mm is very small but when I considered that my original kidney stone was 8mm I didn’t necessarily agree that something that was half the size of the original was actually being considered normal. At first I was ticked off because I felt that the urologist’s office had lied to me about the results. After I calmed down and thought about it more clearly; I don’t believe I was lied to as much as I was not given all of the information. I believe it would have been more appropriate for them to tell me they found a small fragment but that it was not causing any of my problems so they did not plan to do anything about it.


All of this communication and miscommunication is causing me inner turmoil. On one hand while I was somewhat confused as to why I was receiving a phone call I was glad that they did not seem to forget about me. I would much rather receive a phone call to tell me that everything is okay than to not receive one when I am expecting one. The fact that they neglected to give me all of the information has me still considering switching providers. It of course brings up issues of trust and my belief that they are making appropriate decisions. I am just hopeful that the remaining fragment does not affect the urodynamics study that I have scheduled in a couple of days. I am considering bringing all of this to the urologist’s attention when I am there but I am sometimes uncomfortable being confrontational. I will need to do a “gut check” before I go to my appointment to decide how I want to proceed.

Last week, was also my appointment at the wound care center to figure out what was potentially happening with my wound. When I got to the appointment I gave a nurse that I had never seen before a condensed version of the history of the wound and then told her what I had seen the previous week, which had lead to my making the appointment. After she took all of the information she then examined my wound but she did not say much about it. I got a feeling though, that it was because it was doing very well or that she couldn’t actually find it. I waited a couple minutes for the doctor to come in and then I explained to her what I had seen and that it scared me because one of the previous times that it opened I had seen her and it actually had depth and required care. She totally understood my concern. I showed her the picture of my wound that had lead to my appointment and she looked at the area. She then explained to me that it was not open but that the top layer of one section had come off, giving the impression that it was open. She correlated it to having a facial and when you leave your skin looks red because the top layer is sometimes removed. I was relieved that nothing was really wrong but I also felt like somewhat of an idiot for having come in for nothing. The doctor said that it wasn’t for nothing because I did not really know what had caused it. She then recommended that I use Calazime on the area to try to block out any moisture that may break down the skin, although she did not see any breakdown happening, so it was more preventative than for treatment. She also told me to make a follow up appointment with my wound care surgeon for the following week, when he was there just to see if what she had recommended was working.


I have that appointment in a few days, ironically the same day that I am scheduled to have the urodynamics study. I am hopeful that both of those appointments are informative yet uneventful.

No comments: