Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My Life, the Roller Coaster

I spent the next couple of days stressed out about my wound that had opened and stayed off of it as much as possible. When my nurse came back a couple of days later she said that it was doing very well and seemed to be closing on its own. While I was very happy to be hearing this news I tried to temper my excitement, because of the major let down of a few days before. 

During the next couple of days I put myself on strict bed rest hoping that staying off of the wound would help. Two days later when my nurse came back to check on the wound's status she said, 'I am going to call that healed'. She also told me that I could start getting out of bed more often and could even shower over the weekend if I wanted to. 

Although she did decide to cover the wound for the weekend it did not really need it. It was a couple of days later that I called my nurse to make sure she really thought that getting it wet was okay. She told me that I could shower, but that she wanted me to take the dressing off before I did. She also wanted me to check the dressing for drainage so I could tell her about it the next day. Admittedly, I was nervous about taking the dressing off and especially about checking for drainage. I didn't think that I would see any drainage but I was still hesitant to look. I knew that my nurse would need to know the information so I took a deep breath and looked at the dressing. I didn't see any drainage whatsoever!  I proceeded to take my shower and then decided to stay up in my wheelchair for a little while.  

The next morning when my nurse came back, I was a little nervous about what she would see. I explained to her I was nervous but that I hadn't seen drainage the day before so I was pretty sure that everything was still going well. When she looked at it she said that it was still closed and it was fine. My nurse was at that point more excited than I was. Although I was happy that it had survived the weekend I knew that it was still sensitive and so I was trying to temper my excitement. My nurse then asked me if she could come to my next appointment at the wound care center, so that she could meet the surgeon that seemed to have so much common sense. I had no problem with them meeting, so we arranged to meet at my appointment two days later.

No comments: