Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Making Progress?

When my nurse saw that the stitches were loosening, I was already reaching for my phone to get in touch with my surgeon before she even had a chance to say that it did not look like anything bad was happening. I called him and explained that while there was no drainage, the stitches were very loose and did not seem to be holding the wound closed anymore. My surgeon said that my nurse should just cover it with a dry dressing and that I should just come to my regular appointment that was scheduled for two days later. Waiting, did not feel like something I was willing to do so I called the wound care center and made arrangements to see him first thing the following morning.

Aside from being worried about the wound in general, the other reason I wanted to see him the next day was because he had previously said that I could go out that evening. I wanted to make sure that being up for several hours was not going to cause any major problems. When he examined the wound he decided to remove the stitches. When he took them out he explained to me that while the edges were not yet closed it was very small and that I could still go out that evening. I was very happy that he said I was still able to go, I just hoped that I would be able to forget about things for a few hours and enjoy myself. I did decide to go on with my plans, though at first I was very much distracted by the sutures not having fully done their job.

I saw the surgeon again the following week and he was incredibly pleased with how the wound looked. He said, that it was doing everything correctly and showed no signs of anything going wrong. I was thrilled to hear that it was now being referred to as very small and not very deep at all. The surgeon was going to be away from the wound care center the following week, so while I was nervous about skipping a week there was nothing I could do about it so I made an appointment for two weeks later.

Although, I knew that everyone was pleased with the way my wound was progressing I could not get a pattern out of my head. It seems crazy, but of the five times that my surgeon had said surgery was needed at least three of them were decided after having skipped over a week or two. Therefore, I was rather on edge while I waited for my next appointment.

No comments: