Thursday, February 9, 2012

Dakin's is Annoying

Being that Dakin's has a bleach base it has the same ability to stain any material that it comes into contact with, just like the bleach you use to do your laundry. I had decided just after the wound was discovered that until I was healed that for the most part I would only be wearing pajamas or pants that I did not care about, due to the risk of the wound draining. As such I found myself suddenly with a wardrobe of bleach-stained pajama pants. The majority of my friends were jealous that I hung out in lounge clothes and didn't really move. While that was fun for a little while way back at the beginning, the novelty of it had worn off by that point. I just wanted to move around and put on a pair of jeans for crying out loud!

Aside from just the staining aspect of using the Dakin's solution was the factor that it was not what should have been used in my situation. For starters, the wound was clean and didn't need that type of debridement and that product also had the potential to damage the healthy tissue surrounding the wound. All the while, my home care nurse kept telling me that this wasn't what we should be doing for the wound and that it really wasn't going to do any better if all we continued to do was those wet to dry dressings. Again, I found myself being my own worst enemy and basically defending my doctor, despite what I also felt in my gut. As such the wound failed to improve. At this point I found myself basically stuck in a bed I hated, except for during special occassions. Wearing stained, gross clothes and most disturbing of all, not getting any better. Yet, I Still ignored the problem. Looking back I realize that was really dumb but at the time I hadn't really learned to trust myself yet.

I kept seeing the surgeon on a weekly or at that point sometimes biweekly basis. She did not seem to think that the wound was getting much better at this point either. Instead of offering me other options she kept doing what was clearly Not working. I have always believed that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results. So we were doing something I deemed insane yet I Still chose not to speak up because a part of me wanted to believe that the doctor would come up with something else. That did not happen for a very long time. After being on the Dakin's solution for what probably amounted to four months time she decided to take me off of it. Finally, I thought, she is going to actually DO something that would actually work.

No comments: