Sunday, October 5, 2014

Why Can’t I Just Be Pain-Free and Healthy? Dealing with Several Issues (Part 1)

It has now been approximately two months since my wound care appointment was scheduled for the issue with my toe. When I got there it was determined that the doctor that I was scheduled to see would not be able to do anything to help me. I was then informed that if I did not mind waiting, a podiatrist was going to be in wound care shortly. I did wait and had my toe seen by a podiatrist. The podiatrist ended up removing a small portion of the tip of my toenail in hopes that its removal would relieve some of the pressure. She also sent me for an x-ray of my foot to make sure nothing internal was causing my pain. Before I left she explained that she is of the “no news is good news” camp and therefore, unless something was catastrophically wrong, she would not call me and that I should just give my foot some more time to heal.


When I left the appointment at the wound care center, my boyfriend and I had to hurry home so that we could leave on time to go to the play in the city that we had both been looking forward to. We got to the play in the nick of time and it was wonderful. After we saw the play we went to dinner at a restaurant close to the theater. During dinner, it somewhat occurred to me that I was not as exhausted as I was somewhat expecting to be. It seems that the increase of Vitamins D3 and B-12 are helping my energy levels increase.


I spent the next couple of weeks appreciating the increase in my energy level, while also not doing a whole bunch to enjoy it because I was; for the most part trying to keep my foot elevated. During this time, something that can only be described as a freak accident occurred. I was sitting in my wheelchair with my hands resting on my wheels watching television with my boyfriend, when I decided to push my wheelchair. Evidently, my thumbnail was very close to the pocket of my clothing because it got stuck when I tried to move and my wrist bent in a position that no wrist should find itself in. I immediately examined my incredibly painful wrist and noticed that it was swelling. I decided to ice my wrist for a little while to see if it would help. After icing it for some time with no improvement I made the decision to get it evaluated at my local hospital.


My boyfriend and I went to the hospital and I explained to everyone what I had done to cause my injury. I knew that it sounded like a far-fetched story but it was honestly the way it happened so there wasn’t much else I could say. After the doctor examined my wrist and forearm and had reviewed the x-rays, it was determined that I had sprained my wrist. I was sent home with my wrist wrapped in an ACE (compression) bandage and was told to take ibuprofen every few hours. I followed all of the instructions that I was given but a week later I felt like I was experiencing more pain.


I went to a doctor that is in the same group as my primary physician and explained to her what had happened and how I had been treating it. When she examined me she noticed a small nodule on my forearm. She had a suspicion that it was a blood clot and so she instructed me to go directly back to the emergency room so that I could have an ultrasound. Prior to leaving her office she did say that she was going to call a prescription into my pharmacy that might help my pain a little more than the ibuprofen was, she also encouraged me to see an orthopedist as soon as possible to be further evaluated. It was on the way back to the hospital that I received a text message from my parents asking where I was because they had gotten locked out of our house. All of this crazy business with my wrist inconveniently had to happen when my parents were out of town. I responded saying that I was at an appointment and that I would be home soon. My dad’s response was that it was no big deal because my cousin, whom I had left sleeping on my couch, was still there and had let them into the house. At that point my boyfriend and I continued onto the hospital while I tried to put the unnecessary text messages out of my head. At the hospital I received an ultrasound of my arm and they did not see a blood clot (yay!) They did however, suggest changing my ACE bandage to a splint so that I could be a bit more supported, while allowing me to have some movement so that I could at least maneuver my wheelchair without assistance.


By this point, it had been about a month since the podiatrist had evaluated my toe and I had noticed that despite elevation and the copious amounts of ibuprofen I was taking, my toe was still swollen and incredibly painful. Realizing that I hadn’t heard from her I decided to take it upon myself to call her to first, verify that nothing out of the ordinary had been seen on the x-rays and to also get her opinion on what I should do about the pain that I was still experiencing. She explained that the x-rays had come back completely normal but if I was still having pain I should make an appointment to come in and see her. At that point I tried to pick her brain and ask her what her thinking was and she said that she really didn’t have any thoughts other than to re-examine it. When the podiatrist saw my toe during my appointment, she noticed that part of my nail was ingrown she thought that perhaps it was causing my pain so she removed the ingrown portion and instructed me to soak my toe in warm water daily and to follow-up with her in a week.



*** I intended to write more but I feel it is becoming too long for one post. I promise I will continue writing in a day or two. I won’t neglect my blog for this long, I’ve learned my lesson. ***

No comments: