Monday, April 29, 2013

A (Happy) State of Confusion

The following day, when my boyfriend arrived he almost immediately checked to make sure that my wound was still doing well. We were both pleased when he told me that it was still closed and was beginning to look even better since we had started using the Zinc.

When my boyfriend and I went to the Wound Care Center for his appointment later that afternoon, the nurse was incredibly happy when she took the dressing off of his wound. She said that to her it looked closed and asked how long it had looked that good. My boyfriend said that it had looked that way for about a week and that it hadn’t been draining. I looked at his wound and was very pleased to see that it was in fact closed.

When the surgeon came in the room we spent a few minutes catching up because he had been away for a few weeks. He agreed that my boyfriend’s wound was healed and told him that he no longer had to keep it covered but that he should use moisturizer on it for at least the next several weeks. That sounded like an awesome plan. The surgeon then asked us what we were going to now with our lives being that neither of us needed to see him anymore.

At that point I spoke up and asked if he had heard that I was at the wound care center the previous week. I was surprised when he said that no he had not heard that and then asked me what had happened. I in turn was surprised because I thought that the nurses would have told him and also because I knew I had already blogged it and he previously told me that he was reading. I told him that the week before I was seen, my wound had opened and I had gotten really scared and wanted it checked. The surgeon then said that it was a very good idea to get it checked because it is always better to try to catch it at the beginning. I told him that that was exactly my thinking when I called to make the appointment. I also explained that it had closed by itself again before my appointment but that I went in because I was nervous.

The surgeon then told me that the nurse and doctor that had seen it the previous week must have been confident that it was actually doing well, or else they probably would have told him. I kind of assumed as much. The surgeon then proceeded to tell me that if it opens again I should definitely come get it checked because it “could be osteo”. I knew from previous experience that “osteo” relates to bone. I said that I would absolutely come back in if I were uncomfortable with how it looked. We left the Wound Care Center and began to live our lives again.

Things were going well for about a week when I suddenly got “that” feeling. The area was a little sore but it was mostly an emotional gut feeling that had me on edge. When my boyfriend came I asked him if he would please check and see if anything funky was going on. He looked and said that it didn’t look open to him but an area below the wound seemed to have formed a very small blister. I had no idea what to think of that news so I asked to see a picture. I saw something that may have been a very small blister but nothing was draining so I took the “wait an see” approach. On one hand I know that things need to be checked as soon as possible, yet I also didn’t have the horrible gut feeling that I usually get. We waited a few days and when my boyfriend next checked it he said that the blister seemed to have either popped or been absorbed by my body because it was gone but now that same area had a small piece tissue that had come off. We were unable to tell if it was just dead skin from a part of the blister or if somehow some of the scar tissue had sloughed off. We’re both rather confused by the situation but neither of us really feels like it absolutely needs to be seen. We are going to continue to monitor it to see if any other strange things happen, if so we will definitely get in touch with my surgeon.

No comments: