Thursday, March 21, 2013

Boyfriend is Doing Well, I Need to Relax and Await Answers

My boyfriend and I continued to treat his wound with the Bactroban ointment and a gauze pad and just as the surgeon predicted, it continued to do very well. When we went back to the wound care center the following week even I was pleased with how small it had gotten. The surgeon was also happy with its progress and told us that we should continue using the ointment for a week and then after that just to cover it to provide some protection, by that point it would probably be closed. The surgeon said that he wouldn’t be able to see us for a few weeks but to make an appointment for three weeks later. We made the appointment for three weeks later and left.


It has now been a little over eight weeks since I have been discharged from the wound care center and approximately three weeks since my visiting nurses have stopped. I am still diligent about making sure that I do not stay in one position for very long and still periodically have my boyfriend check to make sure that my wound is closed. It was still closed after seven weeks so I decided that my dad’s birthday was when I was going to officially tell him the good news. I wrote the dates that I had been discharged, in his birthday card. He was incredibly happy to hear that I had been discharged, and while I suspect that he knew already, he did not say anything. My family and I were just starting to adjust to me being fully discharged when a few days ago I started to get a bad feeling.


I cannot explain what I felt, other than to call it a “gut feeling” I feared that my wound had reopened. I tried to remind myself that I had had that feeling before since I had been discharged and each time my wound had remained closed so I was probably just overreacting. When my boyfriend was here two days ago, I asked him if he would please check for me because I was really nervous, because the day before I thought I may have seen a little bit of drainage in my clothing.


As soon as my boyfriend saw my wound he said, “Yeah, it’s opened”. I was not surprised by what he said but I still needed to see it for myself. He showed me a picture of it and sure enough, a tiny portion, the same part that had opened previously was open again. I took a minute to just stare at the photo in disbelief that this had happened again. I was so upset that I could hardly form coherent thoughts to have a conversation with my boyfriend. At that point, admittedly I got a little more emotional than I usually do; all my boyfriend could do was hold me.


After a few minutes I needed some insight from someone that was a little more removed from the situation so I sent my best friend a text message. Explaining that it was open again and I had no more coping skills left and needed her suggestions. After she got over the initial shock, she suggested that I call the wound care center and see if someone could see me. She also told me that I should try to relax and zone out and forget about things for a while.

I was really upset that my wound had reopened; I also could not believe that it had happened just a few days after telling my family that I was fine. I realize it was just a coincidence but I couldn’t help but think that my making the announcement had somehow caused it to open again. By that point, I knew a decision had to be made about whom I was going to call. I decided to take my friend’s advice and call the wound care center and explain the situation. I did not want to call my visiting nurses because I knew that if one of them appeared it would instantly cause drama in my family and I could not put them through that again. When I called the wound care center the receptionist originally thought I was playing an early April Fool’s joke on them, once I explained that I was serious she began to check the schedule to see what could be done about getting me seen. She was able to make an appointment for me for the week before the surgeon comes back, with the doctor that I had seen when he was out of town before. She then asked me to hold on while she spoke to the nurse that I was most comfortable with at the wound care center. When she came back to the phone she told me that the nurse had suggested I just cover the wound with a clean dry dressing until I could get to the appointment.

My boyfriend covered my wound with one of the few dressings I have left, a Tegaderm Foam Adhesive and we just tried to relax and not worry too much. I go back to the wound care center next week so I am just trying to remain positive, until I get told just what is going on; if the part that reopened is just superficial or if it has depth and will therefore need more treatment.


No comments: