Saturday, June 2, 2012

Whoever Said 'change is good' Failed to Mention Change is Hard

Although I was very unhappy with what I saw in the picture I apparently sounded remarkably calm on the voicemail that I left my nurse. I told her that the wound was open again but to me it seemed like the open part was very small and as such I was just calling to give her a heads up about what she would see a few days later. It wasn't until the next day that she returned my call and explained that when she listened to my message she decided not to call me right then because, I did not sound overly upset. I then reiterated that what I saw was very small but that I was not upset about it that in reality I had just gotten really sad about what I was referring to as yet another setback. 

The nurse then told me that she was still going to come to my home two days  later to assess the situation, but that based on what I was telling her she was not concerned at all.  Waiting those two days felt very strange, especially considering that in the past I had always erred on the side of caution and kept my surgeon updated whenever things seemed to be going in the wrong direction. Knowing what I knew about how quickly it had closed previously, I decided to try to keep calm about it until my nurse could really tell me what was going on and what she thought we should do about it.  

When my nurse arrived she was still very positive that things were going well so she came in with a really positive attitude and sat and talked to me for a bit before even looking at the wound. When she finally looked at it she said that yes it was in fact open but that it was nothing to be worried about at all and that she was so certain it was fine that we did not need to get in touch with the surgeon. The nurse also decided that being that it was such a tiny portion that had opened and it did not have any drainage it also did not need to be covered and that my next visit would not be moved forward so it would be another week until a nurse would return.  In the meantime I was told that I could be up more often and that I could still shower whenever I wanted to. 

All of these things I was being told sounded good, yet odd.  On one hand I was upset that it had opened again, yet I was encouraged by the fact that my nurse was not worried enough to even cover it.  The situation felt odd because, I hadn't seen my surgeon that week and was not used to not needing to see him, especially when the wound had suddenly changed how it was doing. 

Being that my nurse told me that I could be up even though it was not doing as well as I had hoped it would, I had decided that my life had been stagnant for too long and it needed to move forward.  At that point I determined that I needed to start looking for a job regardless of how my wound was going. Hopefully, it would just continue to keep healing stronger each time that it closed while I began my job search. 

No comments: